Me. It's all about me here.

My photo
NY, United States
My name is Daren. I currently attend LECOM in Bradenton, FL. This is currently my 4th year of med school. I created this blog to post my thoughts about medical school. And because I rock. Boom. So please, come make yourself at home and enjoy my musings. If you are easily offended by things (ie sarcasm, being politically incorrect, etc) then I suggest you evacuate the immediate vicinity :)

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Another babbling of mine about 4th year...

Oh hello there. How goes it? I'm doing fine and dandy, especially since matching. Yes, my day, along with thousands of others participating in the DO match, was Feb 10, 2014. I'm about a month late in posting about it, but whatever. 

So yeah, I matched my top choice: Largo Medical Center in Largo, FL. For those of you who don't know, it's here:


http://townmapsusa.com/images/maps/map_of_largo_fl.jpg


And up close, it looks like this:
http://www2.aoao.org/members/news/2012spring/images/photos/editionfiles/march12/largo.jpg

Yep, pretty baller. I will be doing Internal Medicine. Hopefully applying to some sort of fellowship after my 3 years of IM... most likely cardiology. They have an awesome program at Largo.

So yeah I've been pumped. And of course, my brain is completely checked out until residency starts. I tried to get as chill of a rotation as I possibly could doing urgent care back home in Roc. It's pretty good so far. Super nice people working there and the attendings let me do a lot. Good outpatient experience. I can only do so much of this though, it gets old pretty quickly. I like my hospital medicine much better.

Now that my brain is checked out (and it's kinda late), I suppose I'll reflect on 4th year. So it started off pretty hectic. A lot of bullshit to be done at school on campus, then comlex 2, then audition rotations/interview season, moving from FL to NC to NY amidst all of that, comlex pe, wedding planning on top of all of that, rank lists, and the match. And now that I've matched, I'm getting a crapload of paperwork and all kinds of mindless bullshit to fill out. I can't believe how much crap is involved with this. Pretty stupid in my opinion. But oh well, I choose to live in this country so I have to deal. I think I've grown a lot since 3rd year. That was probably the steepest learning curve, along with the beginning of 4th year. After that it was fairly steady and my rotations went really well. I can imagine the learning curve increasing again once residency starts. I met a lot of cool people along the way, visited many cool places, and ate/drank my way from FL to NY.

Just one more little step before I really start my career. Of course, LECOM makes us have to go all the way back to campus for various BS in order to graduate and get the diploma. And they have the audacity to combine the medical and pharmacy ceremonies. WTF?! I have no qualms with pharmacy students but at least give both the med students and the pharm students their own graduation ceremonies. But whatever, I just want this whole medical school thing over with. And then I will actually get paid to work instead of paying to work. Finally.

I really want a nice beer but I'm too tired to be able to enjoy it properly. Oh well, I'll save it for tomorrow.

Prost!


No comments:

Post a Comment