Me. It's all about me here.

My photo
NY, United States
My name is Daren. I currently attend LECOM in Bradenton, FL. This is currently my 4th year of med school. I created this blog to post my thoughts about medical school. And because I rock. Boom. So please, come make yourself at home and enjoy my musings. If you are easily offended by things (ie sarcasm, being politically incorrect, etc) then I suggest you evacuate the immediate vicinity :)

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Saving lives? Who knew???

So. It has been quite some time since I've last posted here. I feel like I should get an alert that tells me to post after a prolonged period of time. Anyway, here I am during my internal medicine rotation. I have some spare time since I'm doing an overnight shift again and it's pretty quiet around here... except for my music playing haha. I believe the last time I posted was the beginning of 2nd semester of 2nd year. I'll fill y'all in on what went on.

Basically, I studied my ass off and took the first board exam. Joy.

It was pretty uneventful I suppose. I've grown to really like the pathology book, although it's doubtful that I'll become a pathologist. And just when I started liking that book, I don't have to use it any more. Funny how stuff like that happens.

Rotations started last week. As I mentioned before, I'm currently doing IM. It's pretty interesting, although a bit slow here in Batavia, NY. It is as expected though, since I am in the middle of nowhere. I imagine the IM dept of hospitals like NYU or even Strong are much busier. It's hard to believe I can actually put my knowledge to good use. Last Friday there was a Drake concert at Darien Lake (I think I suddenly lost an IQ point for even mentioning the name "Drake.") and there were so many drunk and belligerent people in the ER that I could hardly believe it. The ER was completely full. It was rather fun taking so many H&P's. The one event that stuck in my mind is an elderly lady (who was NOT at the Drake concert) who went into asystole. Obviously, the code was called and the ER doc put me on chest compressions to replace someone who wasn't doing a good job. Miraculously, her heart beat returned after a few moments, albeit a bit messy. But she lived. And I'm not gonna lie, it felt pretty damn good to help save a life. Surreal.

I'll leave y'all with that. Oh, and we had a beer tasting recently that was pretty epic. w00t.

No comments:

Post a Comment